Netflix regularly loses licensed content from third-party providers, but did you know it also lost a lot of original Netflix branded content? Here is the current list of all Netflix Original movies and series that have ever been released on Netflix.
To find out why Netflix Original titles come out, they generally fall into one of several categories.
- Most leave because they are not owned by Netflix. Instead, they are distributed internationally exclusively by Netflix for a fixed period of time.
- Second, they can be temporary or permanent licensing issues. For example, Beat Bugs left due to licensing issues for a short period of time, while Slasher was removed because the series owner went bankrupt.
- Thirdly, some titles that are time-specific. This includes the New Year’s countdown, for example.
- Finally, you may find that Netflix Originals have been removed from some regions due to laws or removal requests. We’ll cover this at the end.
Netflix Originals removed from Netflix due to licensing
Now, let’s show you the list of Netflix Originals that have been removed (we might have missed some, but we’ll update them over time).
- Nick Offerman: American Ham – Removed in December 2017
- Thim killing (seasons 1-4) – Removed in August 2018 – Despite reviving the series, Fox chose to put the show’s first three seasons on Hulu.
- River (Season 1) – Removed in October 2019 – Sole international distributor of the BBC series.
- Stockholm (season 1) – Removed November 2019 – Argentine series that Netflix aired internationally.
- Happy Valley (seasons 1-2) – Removed in March 2020 – Another BBC series, Netflix distributed only for a limited time internationally.
- Gum (seasons 1-2) – Removed in April 2020 – Netflix only acted as an international distributor and lost the rights after a fixed period.
- Slasher (seasons 1-3) – Removed in April 2020 – Removed due to Kew Media Group bankruptcy. It eventually came back, however, but the upcoming season is heading for Shudder.
- Case (Season 1) – Removed May 2020 – Chilean Netflix series performed internationally.
- cannabis – French TV series – Removed in June 2020
- Hotel Beau Séjour – Removed in June 2020
- NSU German History X (limited series) – Removed in July 2020
- Russell Peters: Notorious – Removed in October 2020
- Russell Peters against the world – Removed in October 2020
- Nobel – Norwegian – Removed in November 2020
- Four Seasons in Havana – Removed in December 2020
- merli – Catalan – Removed in December 2020
- Pacific Heat (season 1) – Removed in December 2020
- blockbuster – French – Removed in January 2021
- Knights of Sidonia – Japanese – Removed in January 2021 – has been removed several times in the past.
- The 4th Company (2016) – Removed in April 2021
- The little Prince – Removed in May 2021
- LEGO Friends: The Power of Friendship (2016) – Removed in June 2021
- LEGO: Friends: Congratulations to you! (2017) – Removed in June 2021
- Chadwick Boseman: Portrait of an Artist – Removed in June 2021 after premiering in April 2021
- cooking on high – Removed in June 2021
- Heavy Rescue: 401 – Removed in June 2021
- Mages: Sinbad Adventure – Removed in July 2021
- the last hangover – Removed in September 2021
- Christ’s First Temptation – Removed in September 2021
- The Frozen Dead – Removed in October 2021
- Chelsea Peretti: one of the great – September 2021
We are told that this list will continue to grow exponentially over time, as Netflix does not necessarily own the distribution rights to much of its library.
Netflix originals removed due to government removals
The most famous example of Netflix being ordered to remove content is with the Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj. An episode critical to the regime in the country was ordered to be withdrawn in January 2019.
The following titles have been removed from Netflix Singapore and several other regions as well.
- the last hangover
- the temptation of christ
- cooking on high
This is the current list. We will continue to expand this over time as and when other Netflix Originals leave the service.